Published 16 July 2019
13 & 14 November 2019, London
Arcangelo invites applications to audition from strings, woodwind, brass and continuo players skilled in and/or committed to Historically Informed Performance of Baroque and Classical repertoire.
As we enter our second decade, we are keen to identify new talented instrumentalists to join our pool of highly experienced freelance musicians, and to be a part of Arcangelo’s onward musical journey.
Applicants are requested to complete an online application form (see below) by 30 September 2019. Invitations to audition, together with audition requirements, will be issued by email to shortlisted applicants by Friday 18 October. We will endeavour to reply to all applications, successful or otherwise. Auditions will be heard by Arcangelo Artistic Director Jonathan Cohen, Head of Artistic Planning David Clegg and General Manager Julian Forbes.
Please read the following Application and Audition notes before completing the online application form:
- Applications are welcomed from players who are not primarily HIP specialists but have a passion and talent for the repertoire.
- Applications are welcomed from players who are not based in the UK, though please note that future offers of engagement may be subject to required work authorisation being obtained, subsequent to the UK’s scheduled exit from the European Union.
- All applications will be considered equally and fairly.
- There is no upper age limit for applications.
- Strings players will be required to play on gut strings with period bows.
- Woodwind/brass players will be required to play on period (Baroque or Classical) instruments.
- An accompanist will be provided at auditions. We will liaise individually with shortlisted applicants regarding audition pitch and keyboard requirements.
- We will liaise individually with shortlisted applicants on repertoire to be presented, and to provide full details of the audition venue and timing.
- We regret that we cannot reimburse travel costs/expenses for applicants invited to audition.
- NB: Arcangelo presents a limited number of projects of varying scale per season, and engages varying numbers of musicians on a freelance basis appropriate to each project’s artistic requirements. Our 2019 instrumental auditions are for the purpose of identifying talented HIP players suitable for Arcangelo projects, and do not guarantee an offer of future engagements.
How to apply
To apply for an audition, please complete our online application form by Friday 30 September.
If you cannot access the online application form or have any queries, please email email@example.com
Arcangelo’s collective energy and spirit have generated a flood of five star reviews, sparked audience ovations and prompted invitations to perform at the world’s leading venues and festivals. The ensemble, which has taken the musical world by storm since its creation in 2010, comprises outstanding young musicians under the dynamic leadership of its Artistic Director and founder Jonathan Cohen. Its ethos is ruled by a determination to apply the deep listening skills and artistry of chamber music making to every piece in its repertoire, from trio sonatas to oratorios and symphonies.
2018-19 season highlights include an acclaimed performance of Handel’s ‘Theodora’ at the BBC Proms, recitals and concerts at Wigmore Hall, Carnegie Hall, L’Auditori Barcelona and Hong Kong City Hall, and a further award-winning CD release on Hyperion of arias by Handel with Christopher Purves. In 2019-20, Arcangelo will make its debut appearances at Vienna’s Konzerthaus and London’s Barbican Centre and record Handel’s Brockes Passion and a recital programme with mezzo-soprano Kate Lindsey for Alpha.