Arcangelo returns to the BBC Proms for a full performance of Bach’s iconic St Matthew Passion.
Bach’s crowning masterpiece, the St Matthew Passion combines moments of extraordinary fragility and tenderness with raw choral power and explosive jubilation, bitter grief with passages of consolation. With double chorus and orchestra, its scope and ambition is vast – a piece made for the Royal Albert Hall. Following on from their gripping account of Handel’s Theodora in 2018, period-instrument ensemble Arcangelo and Director Jonathan Cohen return to the Proms, joined by a glittering line-up of soloists including Roderick Williams and rising star Stuart Jackson.
- 7.00pm, Thursday 9 September
- Royal Albert Hall, London
- Live broadcast on BBC Radio 3
- Friday 10 September: re-transmission on BBC Four TV
- Bach: St Matthew Passion BWV244
- Stuart Jackson (Tenor) – Evangelist
- TBA (Bass) – Jesus
- Louise Alder (Soprano)
- TBA (Alto)
- Hugo Hymas (Tenor)
- Roderick Williams (Baritone)
- On sale from 17 July. For further information about how to book please see the BBC Proms website